August 29, 2010

Rediscovering a Color: Peach

Just like in fashion, colors and shapes have a way of being 'in' or 'out' in floral design. In the '80s, I did hundreds of multi-colored arrangements, cascading bouquets, and floral headwreaths. The color peach was also huge, and I did many all-peach or peach and white weddings well into the mid-'90s. Then, gradually, peach fell out of favor and I found myself working with it less and less if at all.

Peach is back and I'm thrilled because it's so fun to rediscover a neglected color - it makes flowers look fresh again and I find it so inspiring. The possibilities are endless because Peach goes so well with so many other colors.

For Amy and Marco's wedding at Overbrook Golf Club, I created peach arrangements in washed stone pedestal containers. I used three shades of peach roses, stock, a hint of white hydrangea, apples and of course, peaches. I set these on green damask cloths and the effect was breathtaking - so summery and light - perfect for an August wedding!

I am looking forward to working with this color again soon - what fun!








Simple vases of roses for the cocktail tables on the terrace...






Placecard table in center hall...




No comments:

Post a Comment